Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 1 in DC

Yesterday was my first full day in DC, and it has been nothing short of amazing.  I started my day walking to Union Station, then mapping out my route to the Dept.of State. The DoS is maybe a 7 min. walk to the Lincoln Memorial, so i meanderd down to see honest Abe before heading back towards George Washington University. I stopped to buy a few things at Whole Foods, then made my way back to the house.

Jaz is in law school at Howard, and we met up for dinner, at the sign whale, which turned into a walk around the Farrugut area of the triangle.  She bumped into a few associates, and we hung out with them for a while. These young men are the sons of politicians, senators, etc. so it was interesting talking to them about their live in DC, their career aspiriations, and the perks of having a well known parent.

I thought i knew how to get back to the house, but what took me 45 min going, took 1.5 returning.  All in all sore feet, great time spent with Jazz, and solid networking.


Today was my orientation, and it went by smoothly, until it was my turn to get my paperwork processed for my i.d. for some reason i always get in the line that is destined to take the longest amount of time. So after watching 5 other people zoom past me, i finally was on my way to find the office i'll be working in.

i have the perfect internship, i'm working on programs that focus on international students and their journey to a US higher education. i'm super excited about the opportunities that this internship will open up for me, and the work i'll be able to do while here in D.C.

working out is going to be easy, today i walked about 7 miles, and found some really neat (yea i said it) places in my area.

well that's all for now, i'm tired, but may go for another walk, to work off my food.  Oh my goal is to only consume 900 calories a day, and then work off as much as possible. i want to lose the 10lbs. i've gained back since leaving Japan.


Already these todays have been amazing, and i look forward to what great things are in store.

smooches
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice